torn

i love owning my own business, it is rewarding but it also comes with decisions.  my own decisions on what is the right thing to do.   right now, i'm torn between raising my invitation prices and/or outsourcing my printing...

it has been weighing heavy on my mind for a couple months.  do i keep wedding invitations in house (notepads & stationery will continue to be printed here) like i've done since the beginning? do i keep the control over my output quality?  do i keep it in my hands, something that gives me personal satisfaction? but i'm not sure if that's important to my clients.  if i do this, i have to raise my invitation prices a bit, because while i love what i do, i need to make money, as well as, compensate for my supplies cost increasing.
[printed in house]
do i outsource to a printer i am happy with but think my own printing looks better?  do i outsource where there is a qty. minimum of 25 per order? do i outsource where i could offer heavier cardstocks for the same price? do i outsource where i could offer a large quantity discount?  do i outsource so it frees up my time?   do i outsource so i can do these types of invitations


My ink is a wax ink so it has a sheen/richness to it.  It also prints much deeper.  For example, below are the exact same invitation
[Lola outsourced]
[Lola printed by me]
What do you think? Do you think there is enough difference either way? Is there value in paying more and knowing that only 1 or 2 sets of hands have touched your invitations?  (When able, my Mom corners & packages for me)  Now do you see why I'm torn?  With all my decisions, I follow my inner voice, but it's not speaking clearly about this and would love to hear opinions.

Comments

Amy Jaz said…
You know my vote. ;-)
Kimberly said…
Wow! This is a big decision! I have to say, there is a HUGE difference between the outsourced printing and yours. If you designed the invitation to be red and it's coming out dark pink, I'm not sure that's good printing. I'm insane when it comes to color matching. That being said, you do have a family and your business is growing and sometimes we have to learn to let go of things. I don't envy you right now. I wouldn't want to have to make this decision but I will say this, in all our conversations, you're always well grounded and you know how to handle business so while you may not hear the answer just yet, I'm sure it'll come.

xo,

Kim
I am the type of person who always roots for quality over quantity, so I would rather pay more and get a better product...
stelie + co. said…
Amy, Kimberly & Julia,

Thank you for your perspective. I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate it.

FYI: I compensate for actual colors on my own printer.

I have a very hard time letting things go. Hence, needing to hire an assistant but not wanting to let go yet.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Carnival Time!

winner winner chicken dinner